Parents can help keep their children safe online by teaching them about its’ dangers and how to make wise decisions.
- Communication is key. Establish an ongoing dialogue about internet use, and keep lines of communication open. Let them know you care enough to keep reading their communications
- Supervise use of all Internet-enabled devices. Regularly check the online communities your children use, such as social networking and gaming sites, to see what information they are posting.
- Establish an agreement with your children about Internet use both at home and outside of the home. Have everyone in the family sign it.
- Periodically check your child’s online activity by viewing their browser’s history.
- Set time limits on computer use (not just internet use) and consider using time-limiting software.
- Do not allow your children and teens to take their phones or tablets to bed with them.
- Let your children know that you care enough about their safety to set a standard that will keep them safe.